The mission of the Department of Chemistry and Environmental Science is:
- To educate undergraduate students to pursue graduate studies at the nation's best universities, and for employment in industry.
- To educate graduate students for employment in industry, government, or academe, with doctoral students learning how to function as independent researchers.
- To educate students, both undergraduate and graduate, for leadership roles.
- To engage in research to support the advanced education of graduate students, maintain the intellectual vitality of the faculty, and expand the frontiers of knowledge in areas of importance to the state and nation.
- To publish and present the results of our intellectual activities, resulting from both teaching advances as well as from research.
- To serve our profession through membership and leadership on local and national committees, and editorial boards.
- To serve our wider constituencies by offering our expertise to industrial clients, state and local communities, and pre-college students and teachers.